My name is Lori Burns and I am a public school principal in Monmouth County. I am an LGBTQ advocate who has conducted research on the climate of public schools in New Jersey related to LGBTQ topics. I am the founder of Educators for Equality which is an educations society for LGBTQ+ educators and allies that is focused on creating safe and affirming schools for LGBTQ individuals. Educators for Equality is run in partnership Garden State Equality, which is New Jersey's largest LGBTQ advocacy group. I am also the Manager of the LGBTQ Inclusive Curriculum Pilot Program. As an out lesbian educator and NJPSA member I am sharing this post with the membership in order to share important resources regarding LGBTQ topics and Assembly Bill 1335 (the LGBTQ Inclusive Curriculum Bill) which is mandated effective September 2020.
Here is what you need to know:
- The best way to implement the LGBTQ Inclusive Curriculum is by being selected to be a Pilot School for January 2020 - June 2020.
- I strongly recommend that all educators join Educators for Equality (E4E) in order to be knowledgeable about the LGBTQ Inclusive Curriculum mandate and how to prepare your school and school district.
- Follow us on social media:
Instagram - eduforequality
- Facebook - Educators for Equality (this is secure page, you will have to request access)
- Twitter - @eduforequality
- Attend one of our quarterly meetings. The first meeting of the school year is on October 5th. The information is below:
South Jersey Meeting:
The Red Hen
1303 Kings Highway
Swedesboro, NJ 08085
North Jersey Meeting:
30 Park Street
Montclair, NJ 07042
Meeting Time: 1-4pm
Training Topic 1:30-2:30pm : "Chosen/Inclusive Family" Family Leave Law
Networking 2:30-4pm: Eat, drink and connect!
Please feel free to email with any questions LORIBURNS2011@GMAIL.COM